TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Friday, July 12, 2013

Two Years Gone but Never Forgotten

Two years ago, today, my heart broke. The light inside of me died a little.

I lost my grandmother.

I'm not sure how your grandparents are but mine are my world. My grandparents helped raise me. My grandparents are my rock.

I was so shaken by my grandmother's death that I shut myself off from the world. The only blog post I wrote that month had to do with strange airport sightings. A year later, it was still hard to put my feelings into words. I tried, and I came up with reasons to be grateful.

This year, it doesn't feel any different. It feels like she just passed away. It's not surprising to me that I woke up with a giant headache this morning. Bubba's health declined due to a massive stroke.

So far, I've lost 3/5 grandparents and I miss them all very differently. I could never call my Bubba and ask her for advice but I could call my Papa and voice my concerns to him. Bubba always called on Shabbat to wish us a Good Shabbos - Bubbie called to say 'hi' but not very often and it was usually when I could hear loneliness in her voice.

I miss them all but today, I miss Bubba the most. I've been trying to find a way to pay homage to her. I can't visit the cemetery (bad ju-ju for pregnant Jews), I'm too tired to cook a huge Shabbos meal (I have no idea how she did it week-after-week), and the only thing I can think of is to spend time with my husband and son. Our lives are about to get a lot more complicated in the next few weeks, so spending time as just the three of us seems like a good way to remember her.
Tell me Yoav doesn't look a bit like me!
Today, instead of being sad, I will, again, be grateful to Bubba and all she gave me in life and in death.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Tweet