TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Our Battle with Ptosis - Part 1

Every once in a while I like to get a little serious on our blog and clue people in on what's going on in our lives. On occasion, I like to educate people based on things that we are dealing with. Today is one of those days. I'm taking a little break from creating healthy passover recipes to get a little serious.

Have you ever heard of ptosis? Paris Hilton has it. No, it's not an STD. It's an eye condition sometimes referred to as droopy eye. If you have ptosis, it basically means you have a droop eye lid.

You know who else has ptosis? My son.

For the first few days after his birth, the hospital and all of their doctors kept saying "it's an after effect from birth, it'll go away." When Yoav was in NICU, one of the top pediatricians noticed that his eye opens more when he eats but she didn't know why. She just thought it was funny. She called over every colleague she could find to look at the "funny baby". No one told us that his party trick wasn't normal.

Two weeks after taking Yoav home, we went to see a pediatrician about his eye. She said the same thing the hospital did but this time I asked her "what happens if it doesn't? When do I notify you that it hasn't gone away?" Her answer "give it a week - if it doesn't go away, come back and see me." So, we did. Then she nearly yelled at my husband for not taking him to a pediatric ophthalmologist. He had to remind her that she needed to refer us to one ... and she did.

Within five minutes of seeing the pediatric eye doctor, she said "he has jaw winking ptosis." I asked her what it is and she said "google it, you'll find a better description of what it is." That is so NOT the answer I want to hear from a doctor but she was right. I learned that if his pupil is more than 50% covered by his eye lid, he could lose his eye sight.

It's a very serious condition!

We have a follow up appointment with her next week and I'm terrified. I'm not scared that she'll tell us he needs surgery. I'm scared of the opposite. In my research, I've read that it's uncommon for a child under the age of four to have this condition corrected surgically.


In an age where kids get bullied for wearing the wrong t-shirt to school, I worry that Yoav will be ridiculed for his droopy eye lid. I can't tell the future but I've seen kids made fun of for less.

No one knows what caused Yoav's ptosis but the lack of muscle in his eyelid and his mis-wiring in his jaw is a scary thing. I also hate having to explain to every Tom, Dick, and @$$hole why my son looks different. If you think it's hard to explain in English, try doing it in Hebrew.

I'm lucky to have supportive parents, siblings, and friends. My Dad found a great pediatric ophthalmic surgeon near him in Florida and my Mom has been an awesome shoulder to lean on! My friends and siblings keep bugging us for more pictures of Yoav - even with his funky eye, he's still a cutie ... and he already knows it.

There's actually not much written about ptosis on the interwebs - I found a few personal blogs that recount their tales of dealing with ptosis and the stories are all the same for the most part. Unfortunately, even with the surgery, there's no guarantee that the muscle will improve and there's no guarantee that he won't need another surgery a year after the first one. It's a scary thought for a parent! So, we just quietly pray and ask G-d for help.




5 comments:

Jodi said...

When people ask why my nephew looks different, please tell them that this is what perfection looks like. If it looks different to them, it's because their babies are not as stunningly perfect as mine (oh! YOURS!)!!

Rebecca Dolores said...

Hoping for the best news possible for your little man. He is perfect, and you know how I feel about exactly how adorabld he is. I have to say, i have seen lots of your pictures of him- and i didnt really notice before. I do understand your worry! I have had sinilar worries. My daughter had horrible eczema on her cheeks for the first 2years of her life. I didn't know if it would ever go away. They looked like horrible red blisters on her beautiful perfect face. Everyone always had to stop and ask. Thankfully, it cleared. But i always worried about what would happen if she became conscious of everyone looking at her. So my heart goes out to you...i truly hope for the best. He is perfect.

Unknown said...

Not nearly as well written as the first comment I wrote, which dissappeared, bu take II:

There is no doubt that it is much more difficult to have a prominent physical problem, than something hidden away, but as long as it wont affect his vision before the age of 4, then just remember that it is around 5 or 6 that the social pressures and ridiculing really set in, once they start school, and children begin to feel that they need to fit in and be like everybody else...for G-d knows what reason.

I have a close friend whose son was born with a port wine mark that is prominently located on the side of his face, near his ear.

When I first made a mention of it (to tell her how cute I thought it was, I mean it really is cute and brings out his features), she immediately became defensive about the mark. Though it is very understandable based on the society of looks that we are a part of, she is giving her son the message that something is wrong with him, whether conciously or uncounciously, by her immediate defending of her baby (though completely natural). He will learn that he has something to be ashamed of rather than something which is simply a part of him.

Yoav is such a beautiful baby, that you are doing all of us an injustice by not posting more pictures...he is only a baby once, and for such a short period of time at that. It needs to be relished, and we deserve pictures, because he is sooo yummy!

It is good that you guys followed up with this, docs around here can often be so dismissive of important issue and symptoms. I am sure you are frightened, but keep up with your assertiveness, and I beleive you will get your way in the end!

Mimi N said...

I've not heard of Ptosis before. I've heard of people having droopy eyelids, but have never seen a baby with one. I have to be honest, I'd be curious myself. Yoav is beautiful. I just wanted to smile at each of his photos. Praying for a good outcome!!

Selena said...

I completely understand how you feel. When my daughter was 2 months old her head started to tilt to the side at a strange angle. We found out she had torticollis and also hip dysplasia which required a brace that held her legs out at a 90% angle and physio for her neck. I cried... and cried... and googled until I made myself insane. Old ladies would stop me at the grocery store and ask what was wrong with my baby and then tell me what a shame it was. At least they spoke to me- others would just stare... or maybe it was my paranoia ;)
Not a good experience for a new mum! I had to dig deep but after a while I started to ignore the stares & questions and learned to just enjoyed my wonderfully awesome baby girl.

Glad to hear you have lots of support. Baby Yoav is in my prayers. He's super cute regardless (love those yummy chubby cheeks!!!) :)
chag sameach

Post a Comment

 
Tweet