TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Year of Firsts

With the Jewish New Year upon us, this starts my year of firsts. My first year as a wife. My first year as a Glaser. My first year making a holiday dinner as a wife.

Wait, what? How did that last part happen? I live in Israel - the land of plentiful invites!

Well, in truth, we were invited to my aunt's niece's house and my friend's parent's house. We were also invited for lunch to my other aunt's house. Yet, on erev Rosh HaShanna (think New Year's Eve without all the glitz but with plenty of alcohol), we're on our own. Our first Rosh HaShanna as a married couple. And I'm making dinner.

If I were in Detroit this year, I'd likely be heading to synagogue with my grandparents and rushing to get to dinner somewhere. This year, I will likely skip shul (the synagogue) and focus on making dinner. OMG, I'M MAKING DINNER!!! I don't know how my sister/mom/stepmom/aunts do it! We're only two people and I'm already freaking out.

On our menu:
- roasted chicken (that I haven't made since I was 15)
- tzimmes (a mishmash of yams, apples, raisins, cinnamon, sugar, carrots, and honey cooked in my tiny oven)
- mashed potatoes (easy!!)
- stuffing (ya gotta have stuffing!)
- hungarian homemade pasta (thanks, Gram!)
- honey cake with homemade honey fluff (g-d I hope the fluff works)

Not on our menu:
- anything resembling a vegetable that isn't covered in sugar, salt, or sauce.
- healthy food.

Will it all get done in time? Probably not! Will we be eating at 10pm? Probably!

Craig and I plan to spend the holiday reflecting on the past year - the ups and downs, all the curves, and all the bumps... and praying for good things to come in the new year.

Earlier today, I wrote an email to some of my female friends that have inspired me over the years. I got the idea from Mitch Albom who wrote a book called "Have a Little Faith" (if you wan't a copy, I'm having a contest - be sure to enter!). The book taught me not to take friendships for granted and that if you have something to say (especially nice things) - SAY IT! So I did. I wrote my girlfriends a list of what I wish for them in the new year.

But what do I wish for myself?

I wish for a great first year of marriage; success in my studies and at work; a year without major health problems; a child to love (and sub-sequentially screw up); happiness; and luck. I also pray for more patience and understanding. While I try not to judge people, I am quick to pass off what people say and do as being lazy. This year, I hope g-d grants me the power to be patient and understanding.

What do you wish for yourself in the upcoming year? Do you have any firsts you'd like to accomplish this year?

To all those celebrating the Jewish New Year - may it be one filled with love, laughter, and good times. My your road ahead in the new year be bump-free.

Shana Tova u'Metuka L'kulam! May you have a sweet new year!
(Thank you to More Than Paper for the use of their image.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Tweet