TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

No Spend Month - Day 14 - Cheap Muffin Recipe

So, I've been REALLY tired lately - last night I got into bed at 8:30pm and was out by 9:45pm! I know that your last trimester makes you just as tired as your first (especially given the weight I'm holding) but WOW! Cecil the dog was VERY excited to get into bed early... he loves sleeping! Sparky and I wound up cuddling and watching Hawaii Five-0. Seriously, Sparky the dog watches TV. It's the most fascinating thing to see!

Anyway, on nights where I don't really cook much, I'm always tempted to order out. Even worse, I'm tempted to order out the next day when I'm at work for lunch! It's a horrible habit, especially when your co-workers also want to order out! Don't worry, I packed food for lunch but I started thinking about what I'm going to make for dinner tonight. Here are my brilliant ideas:
  • Roasted veggies in balsamic and olive oil
  • Israeli couscous
  • Potato soup with barley

I say "brilliant" ideas because they're probably not going to happen. I will likely choose one of them and fall asleep half-way through cooking. I'm also hesitant to make more soup since I have so much of my last batch frozen! I guess I'll have to work through the "tired" and do my veggie thing with couscous.

I also started planning out my list of foods for my friend's bachelorette party. She's not supposed to know about the logistics of the party and since she reads the blog, I'm only going to post a really awesome recipe for one of the foods I'm making. It's low cost, full of flavor, and not horrible for your waist-line. The muffins are sweet and won't require any butter - I promise. They're a great alternative for corn bread/muffins and go nicely with a salty meat if you're not Kosher. If you are Kosher, try them with quiche or salmon.

Sweet Cheesy Zucchini Muffins
Ingredients
5 grated zucchinis
1 grated carrot
1 medium sweet onion, diced finely
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (set aside 1/4 cup of this cheese)
1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese (set aside 1/4 cup of this cheese)
1 cup self-rising flour
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup white sugar (you can substitute this with Agave syrup - use 3 tablespoons)
4 medium eggs
1/4 cup milk (if needed)
Pinch of salt and pepper

Prepared
Rinse off your zucchini and carrots, then dry them REALLY well (zucchinis have a lot of water in them). While those are drying, take out a frying pan and saute the onions. You want them to be a nice brown color but not burnt. When that's done, take out a big mixing bowl and place your vegetables in it. Then add your flour, canola oil, 3/4 of the cheeses, and then the eggs. Add your salt and pepper. If the mixture looks dry, add your milk slowly. Stir it well.

Spoon your mixture into a greased muffin tray but only filling it 3/4 of the way. Put them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350F. After 15 minutes, take them out and sprinkle your leftover cheese onto the top. Place it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.

**If you're making mini-muffins, take them out after 10 minutes to add the cheese - then place them back in for another 10 minutes.

This makes 12 normal sized muffins and 24 mini-muffins!

9 comments:

Clancy Cash Harrison MS, RD, LDN said...

Looks wonderful! I love muffin recipes! I make muffins and freeze them for easy lunch box stuffers!

Clancy

Anu said...

The recipe is cost-friendly and nutritious too, never tasted a dessert with zucchini. Must try.

Beck Valley Books said...

These muffins sound devine, bookmarked page to try the recipe later, thanks x

PJ Day said...

Your recipe looks yummy. I'm going to try it. Thanks

Tania B said...

Yummy! Following back from Horseshoes.

Lindsay said...

That sounds so yummy!! I must try!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm your newest follower and on Twitter, too.

Nina Kunni said...

Already following on GFC, following on FB and twitter. Thanks for signing up on the 99% exposure blog hop. i love your blog

Rebecca Dolores said...

Thanks, now I'm craving the veggies you talked about. :) I wish I could sleep more! Enjoy it!! People say you lose sleep when the baby comes, but when they're newborns, all they do is sleep! So you'll still get lots.. just maybe not the consecutive night time hours you're used to. :)

Anne @ Green Eggs and Moms said...

Reading this made me hungry. Definitely something I will try- even if I'm unskilled in the kitchen :) (Following thorough the 99% Exp. bloghop)

Post a Comment

 
Tweet