TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Meet Hormonal Hilly

It's been a while since I wrote something personal and perhaps a little meaningful. I've had writer's block for the last week and it's been driving me nuts. I'm usually really careful about what I post on the blog - certain family members don't like reading super-personal stuff but, today, they're gonna have to deal. My hormones are getting the best of me and I've been in a foul mood for the last few days.


Do you ever just know when you and your partner/friend/spouse are about to have a BIG fight? OK, I kind of feel like that now. Right now, I know I feel cold and distant - it's not my usual demeanor. Last weekend, Craig said something to me in an off-tone on the phone and it sent me into hysterics. Thanks, hormones, thanks. Last night I got upset because I was making latkes (I'm trying out new recipes for you!) and I asked him to peel the potatoes. By the time he was ready to peel them, I was almost done with them. The problem? He thought I was done peeling and I thought he ignored my request.
Ladies and gentleman, I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I spend a lot of time doing stuff I shouldn't be doing because it's easier for me to do them. Peeling potatoes is not one of them. I'm actually allergic to raw potatoes. Lucky me, right?

Anyway, normal Hilly wouldn't have batted an eyelash at any of this but hormonally charged Hilly is a different story. I wound up cleaning our bathroom (REALLY cleaning... although it doesn't look like it). I even de-crapped the shower-head (hot water and citric acid works wonders!!) - but I did all of this because I was in a crappy mood. I only clean when I'm in a bad mood... and when company is coming.
Anyway, I read a really great post yesterday about letting your anger flow and the importance of not holding it in. You can read the post here. I took my anger out on a shower-head and my bathroom sink. Do I feel better? No. This is how I know it's hormones.

My husband is an amazing person, so I really can't be mad at him for not peeling a potato or two... but tell that to my hormones. Craig's been great - even when he's stressing about school and work and the baby on the way...

So, what am I doing to deal with this situation? First, I'm acknowledging that this is ALL hormones. It's not an excuse but it's a start! Then I try to explain to the hubby that it's hormonally related - so tread lightly. When I need to cry, I cry. When I need to vent, I vent. When I need to let go of anger, I tap into myself and dig deep to recognize WHY I'm angry - then I do something like clean my room or bake something. Or I blog.

What do YOU do to relieve your anger and stress? I'm all ears!

11 comments:

Carolyn M said...

Take a Xanax and sleep it off! Usually works best for me, then I wake up and am cuddly and nice again.

About me said...

Take a warm bath (now it's clean!) :)
OK, maybe not the best advice for someone living in Israel. Water is precious. But maybe once? :)
Sending you warm hugs!dirtsti

About me said...

LOL, this word "dirsti" was a word verification... dunno how come it appears on my post. :)

Andrea said...

I usually hop on the treadmill or clean, like bleach the entire house clean lol. I completely understand where you are coming from. BIG HUGS!!!!

Clancy Cash Harrison MS, RD, LDN said...

I like to get up early in the AM and swim with my team (masters swimming). Unfortunately, I have not been able to with my night time teething boy!

Selena said...

OOhhhhh, I remember those crazy hormones feelings/freak outs like they were yesterday ;) I remember feeling like my head was going to pop off!
I'm like you, I clean and organize. Micha always knows when I'm upset... I occasionally go for a walk just to throw him off.
Hold in there! You're almost there... the prize at the end is soooo worth all the pregancy insanity ;)

Channukah Sameach!

Rebecca Dolores said...

haha. Love this. I clean when I'm upset too! And talk about hormonal. Oh my goodness, I'm off the charts these days. It's allllmost over though. Woo hoo!

Cherie said...

Ahh sounds terrible! I'm a pretty irritable person normally, so I could only imagine how I would handle those kind of hormones.. props to your husband for being awesome!

I still haven't figured out a healthy way to take out anger/stress. I used to yell at people.. but I figured out pretty quickly that that doesn't help matters. Sometimes I throw and/or punch things.. usually helps in the short term, but not necessarily the long.. I'm still working on it!

This is my first time to your blog and I have to say that it's super gorgeous! Love all your fonts and colors. :)

Michelle Maskaly said...

Hormones stink. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cleans when they get angry.

Beck Valley Books said...

I have to do something phsical to get rid of the energy and after a while it really works. Totally agree about having to let you anger to as keeping it inside of you ends up making you worse in many ways x

L-Kat said...

I fall into the "cleaner" category. I scrub and sweep, dust and declutter. When I'm all done venting my steam that way I cuddle up with a cup of tea and a book and ignore everyone around me until it is safe for me to open my mouth without screaming or being overly sarcastic.

Post a Comment

 
Tweet