TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pregnancy Dos and Donts in Israel - Part II

Pregnancy can be a bitch... unless you're trying to get pregnant and can't. I may stop complaining soon... little man is kicking up a storm inside and I'm really grateful for that! Speaking of gratitude, have you signed up to help me promote the Day of Gratitude? Please do so - you could win a prize pack! I need all sorts of help promoting - but mostly FB promotions. Please sign up!!

I'm also ready to share something BIG. Well, the big part is me. I'm big. Being pregnant will do that to ya! Here are a few pregnancy pictures taken of me at week 24. I'm almost at week 26... how the hell did THAT happen?

 I look like I ate something bad...
 Oh yeah, full load comin' through!
 Dear Husband, stop playing with camera angles.
Carrying big is genetic... or so my sisters tell me...

Needless to say, I will likely not be wearing this shirt again ANY time soon. Also, cheeze curlz are not allowed in my house anymore.

Ready for more of what you should and should not do in Israel when you're pregnant? While this set isn't so medical (and more food related), don't take it all to heart... they're just suggestions... unlike my last list.


Do take advantage of the plethora of healthy fruits and vegetables here. You don't live in a place that consumes large amounts of processed foods - so enjoy the health benefits. Stay away from cheeze curlz.

Do NOT assume that bourekas are a good source of protein just because they may contain cheese.

Do learn how to make stuff on your own. This country kinda sucks when it comes to maternity clothing - it's not always cute and sometimes things are insanely expensive (600shekels for ugly jeans, ARE YOU JOKING?) - learn how to "refashion" things and invest in some nice tunics/dresses. They go a LONG way.

Do NOT spend more than you have to on maternity clothing. Oddly enough, this country has plenty of cheapy clothing stores that offer dresses with empire waists ... while not necessarily "maternity", it'll do and carry you through many many many months of heat. I have about 5 dresses like this.

Do learn how to bake and make your own foods that you might miss from home. It helps pass the time, allows you to feel creative, and you'll be the envy of all of your friends. Remember Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte? Yeah, I know how to make those from scratch now (even the Pumpkin Spice syrup)!

Do NOT buy donuts until it's Chanukkah... trust me, you'll thank me later.

Do remember that it's hot in this country - drink plenty of water... even if it's December.

Do NOT assume that when you call your kupat cholim to make an appointment for something will be pleasant. They won't. They don't care that you're pregnant and to most of them - this is just a job. They will tell you they have no appointments left, ask to be put on a waiting list.

Do beef up on your calcium intake. If you break a tooth (which happens a lot during pregnancy), it could take over a month to get the sucker fixed.

Do NOT take this country's generosity for granted. Most countries DO NOT give you money for having kids. I know, it's not a lot of money but it's something and you get a free ambulance ride and some form of reimbursement for your hospital stay. This doesn't happen in most countries so enjoy it.

Do understand that it's up to you to figure out what you're entitled to. Some insurance companies give you a stipend for the duration of your pregnancy but they won't tell you about it until you ask. Additionally, you're entitled to 4 hours of maternity care a week throughout your pregnancy according to Israeli law - use it if you have to. This country takes its future citizens seriously.

Do NOT smoke when you're pregnant! I know, I know, this seems like a no-brainer but it's socially acceptable here and I think it's disgusting. If people in your office are smoking, remind them that if your child has any malformations (even asthma) - they'll be paying for the medical care.

Do try to enjoy your pregnancy but get an eReader/iPad. You'll be able to download the books you need and it'll be easier to use than the computer... especially when your carpal tunnel starts to act up. This country is not so great on prenatal books in English.

So, there ya go. Anything to add?

7 comments:

Treat and Trick said...

That are great tips for mother-to-be. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining in my blog. Take care and have a great weekend!


http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Amy said...

It seems so funny that, in a place where the government takes such care of it's expecting mom's, it would be socially acceptable to smoke during pregnancy. I guess a lot of things in life don't make sense. :)

Ann Jones said...

You look great! Thanks for following my blog, I already follow you :) Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by and following. I'm doing the same. You look really cute pregnant. Congrats on the baby!

Nina Kunni said...

Thanks for stopping by.You look good in pregnancy..i believe women who look in pregnancy are trully beautiful. Following you back on GFC and facebook.

Michael said...

For what it is worth I think you look good. I think this is a great list no matter where you are living.

Jodi said...

Growing my nephew makes you look much more beautiful than growing your nephews ever made me! Yes, carrying big is genetic, but of course, I also had big babies. LOL

Post a Comment

 
Tweet