TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lessons Learned at Work

For those of you who don't already know, I work at GlassesUSA.com. That's right, I write the words that make you buy stuff. I started with the company when it was very small and I'm still with the company because, well, because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Just kidding.

I love what I do. Not many people can say that! I love helping people afford vision care. Sure, it's a business but we're filling a void in American society that hasn't been filled before. We're helping people who couldn't normally afford a pair of eyeglasses - achieve better eye health.

There are a few things I learn at work:
- how to be a better wife
- how to be more organized
- the Internet is your friend
- webcams are not toys ... well, sometimes they are
- if there's a Zombie apocalypse, trust no one and carry a shot gun with A LOT of bullets

One of the biggest lessons I learned from work this week is to share. I know, I was supposed to learn that lesson a while ago (like around age 3) but there's a lot of work in our office and we are gearing up for our big BIG BIG promotion (that I cannot talk about yet). This means that people who work at the pace I work at (superhuman) get more on their plate than those who work half-pace or regular-people pace. Sharing is caring, right? WRONG!

I don't like doing other people's work but I will chip in and help because... well because I have to. I won't be happy about it but, since I love what I do, I've learned an important lesson: when entering a job, work normal-person pace and not "Hillary pace" because the moment you start working at my pace, people come to expect it of you.

Wise words: Work less. Enjoy life more.

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Sounds like a great motto. Coincidentally, I just bought new glasses. Yay!

Hillary Glaser said...

I'm starting to take my own advice. The only problem - the boss noticed and asked why I slowed down. I told him that if a light bulb works at maximum capacity - it will burn out. I am like a light bulb.

Post a Comment

 
Tweet