TNGheader Home Blogs We Love Contact Us PR

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

No Spend Month - Day 13 - Food Challenge

So, today is officially Day 13 and here's what I can tell you: we haven't run out of money yet! Whoo hoo! Granted, it's not much but it's something!

This weekend, instead of going to the grocery store for a big shop, I'm opting for a little shop. On my list:
  • Milk
  • Cheese
  • Bread

That's it. I want to spend as little as possible because next week will likely be a BIG shop! My cousin Jillie will be staying with us for a few days and I want to save my money for her visit!

I'll be honest, our cupboards are looking a little bare. What's a girl to do! Turn to Pinterest! For the next few days, I'll be winging it and utilizing some of their awesome recipes! We have pasta, veggies, shredded cheeses, barley, rice, quinoa, cream, and some other "random" things. We also have flour (OK, A LOT of flour), eggs, Nutella, and lots of stuff to bake with. I am going to do my best to use up what we have before I buy more.

Sounds like a plan, right? Good g-d I hope so!

On the docket for the rest of this week:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Corn and butter
Sweet potato soup with garlic toast
Nutella muffins
Blueberry oatmeal bars
Potato wedges
Baked Barley Risotto
Cheesy Rice
Chicken finger wraps

I know, it leaves a bit to be desired without a lot of protein. But if we can get away with NOT spending this weekend, then the sacrifice is worth it! I'm sick of buying stuff at the grocery store when I don't plan on using it for a few weeks. This will give us a chance to use up what we have before we buy more.

I know I owe you a BIG BIG BIG update and I promise you'll get it. I'm even planning a tutorial on how to make Latkes for Hanukkah... so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Love it! Way to stick with your plan, and utilize your resources! :)

Michelle Maskaly said...

Love this! I think I need to try this. I mean, I do try to be resourceful with my cooking, but when you write a food blog, it can get hard, because creatively can quickly take over, and blow the budget.

Selena said...

Cheesy Rice?!? Ohhh, I'm listening... kinda obsessed with cheese.
Sounds like things are going well. Looking forward to your update :)

Rebecca Dolores said...

You had to mention nutella!! haha Nutella muffins? I've never heard of those.. maybe you have a recipe to share? Not that I need anymore sweets..

Post a Comment

 
Tweet